Adult/Returning Students

man at desk

If you have never attended college or would like to return after a long break, you should explore all available resources to maximize financial support for your education. Be sure to submit the FAFSA to access federal loans, grants, and work-study opportunities that can make college more affordable.

Additionally, New York State residents should consider applying for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) to potentially receive more need-based aid.






Specific Circumstances

  • Returning to College

    To transfer previous college credits (not earned while in high school), be sure to contact your admissions office to speak with a transfer counselor and review the Transfer Students section. Contact the admissions office for details.

  • Never Attended College

    Find the college that fits you. Explore different careers and determine if you'll need a two- or four-year degree.

  • Part-Time Students

    You may qualify for Federal Aid for part-time study.

    If you attend a school in NYS,
    you may also qualify for:

    • Part-Time TAP
    • Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
    • Part-Time Scholarship (PTS)

  • High School Equivalency

    All colleges and trade schools require a high school diploma. If you don’t have one, you can still go to college, but you will need to earn a high school equivalency (GED) first.

  • Military and Veterans

    Are you an active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or a Veteran? You can review your military student aid options here.

  • Unemployed Workers

    Unemployed workers receiving unemployment benefits may qualify for additional education and training at a college or trade and technical school. Learn more from the NYS Department of Labor.

Get details on financial aid programs, including eligibility and application procedures.

Find Aid You Need

Programs for Adult Students

Be sure to research your options. Many colleges and universities offer degree programs with classes held in the evenings, on weekends, online, or a blend of several methods. 

  • College Navigator

    National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) College Navigator will help you search a variety of colleges.

  • College Credit For Life

    The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) helps students receive credit for life experiences and is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program. CLEP exams are accepted at over 2,900 colleges and universities nationwide.

  • Adult Education at Regional BOCES

    Regional BOCES programs across the state offer specialized training for adult students. The programs vary by region but often include career training.