Military & Veteran Families

New York State veterans, active-duty service members, or members of their immediate families may receive higher education benefits to help pay for college.

Military and veterans’ education benefits may not cover all college expenses. Remember to apply for all the federal and state student aid you are eligible for by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If you are a New York State resident and plan to attend a college or university in New York, you may be eligible for New York’s Tuition Assistance Program.

Get help understanding what scholarships are available to you!

Veterans Tuition Awards

Awards for full-time and part-time study to eligible veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational program in New York State.

Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute (MERIT)

Financial aid to children, spouses, and financial dependents of members of the United States Armed Forces or state-organized militia who, at any time, while New York State residents, died or became severely and permanently disabled while performing their military duties, whether in combat or not.

NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans

Provides $450 per year to students whose parent(s) served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified periods of war or national emergency and, as a result of service, either died, suffered a 40% or more disability, was classified as missing in action, or was a prisoner of war. The veteran must currently be a New York State resident or have been a New York State resident at the time of death or classification as missing in action.

Other Resources

GI Bill

The Department of Veterans Affairs Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Montgomery GI Bill provide funding for college degree and certificate programs for those who are: Active-duty military. Honorably discharged Veterans. Discharged with a service-connected disability.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.

Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP)

RIRP provides college financial aid, up to $4,350 per year, to any active service member who has successfully completed advanced individual training or commissioning and other requirements of the NYS Division of Military and Naval Affairs. Information and applications for this program may be obtained from the NYS Division of Military and Naval Affairs.

Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support

Department of Defense agency that helps veterans and active-duty military personnel get started on a college or vocational program. Educational benefits are available based on your branch of service and status.Earn college credit for your military experience.Access your official military educational transcript.