TAP Coach

Search for glossary terms (regular expression allowed)
Begin with Contains Exact termSounds like
Term Definition
Veterans Tuition Award

In 1984, the New York State Legislature established the Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award program to provide tuition assistance for full-time or part-time undergraduate study for veterans who are residents of the state, who served in Indochina between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975, and who were discharged under honorable conditions including, but not limited to, honorable discharge, discharge under honorable conditions, and general discharge. 

Since 1984, the program has been expanded to include veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990 and in Afghanistan on or after September 11, 2001, and to provide awards for graduate as well as undergraduate study. In addition to enrollment in approved programs leading to a degree or credit-bearing certificate, veterans may also receive awards for enrollment in an approved vocational training program of at least 320 clock hours.

In 2008, the legislature further amended the law to also include “other eligible combat veterans.” This group includes individuals who are New York State residents, who served in the armed forces of the United States in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961, as evidence by their receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal, or Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal, and who were discharged under honorable conditions, as noted above.

For full-time study, veterans are eligible for an award equal to the amount of undergraduate tuition for New York State residents charged by the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less.

For part-time study, awards are prorated by credit hour. Part-time study for Veterans Tuition Awards is defined as at least three but fewer than twelve semester hours (or the equivalent) at degree-granting institutions or six to twenty-three hours per week in a vocational training program. 

Awards are available for up to four years of undergraduate study, or five years for enrollment in an approved five-year program, and up to three years of graduate study at degree-granting institutions and for a maximum of two years of study in approved vocational training programs.

/* Smartling Language Switcher code */