Enhanced Tuition Awards FAQs

enhanced tuition awards

Enhanced Tuition Awards will be phased in over three years, beginning for New Yorkers making up to $100,000 annually in the fall of 2017, increasing to $110,000 in 2018, and reaching $125,000 in 2019.

See if your college is participating.

Enhanced Tuition Awards FAQs

What is the Enhanced Tuition Awards Program?
The Enhanced Tuition Awards program provides tuition awards to students who are NYS residents attending a private college located in New York State.
What does it mean to be a “NYS resident” for purposes of receiving this award?
To be considered a NYS resident for purposes of receiving this award, you must have resided in the State for 12 continuous months prior to the term for which the award is being sought.
Applicants who qualify for the award under the NYS DREAM Act must meet one of the eligible citizenship/immigration classifications as well as the high school or tuition charge requirements.
How much can I receive from the Enhanced Tuition Awards (ETA) Program?
An Enhanced Tuition Awards recipient can receive up to $6,000 through a combination of their TAP award, ETA award and a match from their private college. For example, a student who receives a $1,000 TAP award would generally receive an additional $5,000 – half of which would be paid by the ETA and half by his or her college.
Will I be able to get an award for the fall?
Yes. Eligible students will receive Enhanced Tuition Awards this fall provided their college has opted to participate in the program.
How much income can my family earn to be eligible for an award?
Your household adjusted gross income can total up to $125,000 to be eligible. 
Can I use my family's current income if it makes me eligible for the award?
Your family's current income or prior year adjusted gross income can be used to establish income eligibility if you, a parent or a spouse becomes disabled, divorced or separated or in the event of the death of a parent or spouse.
Can I get an award if I'm currently going to a private college?
Yes. Students who are currently attending college are eligible to receive an award, provided they are currently on track to complete their degree on time and their college participates in the ETA program.
How long can I get the award?
You are eligible to get an award for up to two years for students pursuing an associate’s degree and up to four years for students pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Students in an undergraduate program of study normally requiring five years are eligible to receive the award for five years.
Do I need a certain grade point average to get or keep the award?
Award recipients need to earn a passing grade to maintain their Enhanced Tuition Awards, provided they earn a total of 30 credits over the course of a year.

Recipients should keep in mind that they may have other awards which also carry academic standards that differ from those required for the Enhanced Tuition Awards.
Can I get an award if I'm a transfer student?
A student who transferred between colleges is eligible for an Enhanced Tuition Award if they are on track to complete on time based on the number of credits accepted by their current college, the college is participating and they are selected to receive an award at that college.
Once I receive the scholarship, is it possible to lose it?
You can lose the scholarship if you do not continue to meet all eligibility requirements. For example, you must enroll in at least 12 credits per term and complete 30 credits per year to continue to receive the scholarship.
If I completed my associate’s degree, can I receive this award to get my bachelor’s degree?
Yes, provided the college that you are attending accepted all of the credits you earned in completing your associate’s degree, and meet all other requirements for the Enhanced Tuition Award.
Are there any other requirements that I must meet after I complete my degree?
Yes. You must live in New York State for the number of years equal to awards you received. For example, if you received four Enhanced Tuition Awards while getting your bachelor’s degree, you must live in New York State for four years after college. In addition, if you are working during those years, you must work in New York State.

Failure to meet these requirements will result in the conversion of your award to a loan.
Do students with disabilities under the ADA need to complete 30 credits per year?
No. Students with disabilities under the ADA are allowed to attend on a part-time basis and their award will be prorated.
/* Smartling Language Switcher code */