NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program
The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides provides tuition awards to students who are New York State residents attending a public or private degree-granting college or university located in New York State. Recipients must be in the top 10 percent of students of their high school graduating class, pursue an approved, two or four-year STEM degree program and agree to live in NYS and work in a STEM field in NYS for five years after graduation.
An applicant must:
- be a NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the fall college term;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- be a high school senior/recent high school graduate who will be enrolled full time at a public or private college located in NYS, beginning in the fall term following his or her high school graduation;
- be ranked in the top 10 percent of his/her high school graduating class at a NYS high school;
- be matriculated in an approved undergraduate program leading to a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics at a public or private college located in NYS;
- maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher;
- execute a Service Contract agreeing to reside and work in the field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics in NYS for five years. View the terms and conditions of the service contract.
A recipient receives an annual award for full-time study up to the annual tuition charged to NYS resident students attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York (SUNY), or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. For the 2017-2018 academic year, the standard SUNY tuition rate is a maximum of $6,670 per year.
The STEM Incentive Program award will be reduced by the amount of any other tuition-only assistance award, such as the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), received.
The number of awards to be made under this Program to students attending private degree-granting institutions is subject to available funding.
Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
A recipient is entitled to annual award payments for not more than four academic years of full-time undergraduate study while matriculated in an approved program leading to a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics or five years if the program of study requires five years.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program Application. Be sure to print the Application Confirmation, sign and submit it, along with the required documentation, according to the instructions.
The deadline for submitting the NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program Application is August 15, 2018.
For students attending a private degree-granting college or university located in NYS, recipients will be selected using a lottery method.
A recipient is not required to submit another NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Incentive Program Web Application once awarded this scholarship, but must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the NYS Student Aid Payment Application each year to receive payment.
Awards will be paid directly to the colleges on behalf of students upon the successful completion of each term. Successful completion of a term means the applicant meets all of the eligibility requirements for the award.
Frequently Asked Questions