Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program
Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program is offered to increase the number of nursing teachers and adjunct clinical faculty in the vital role of preparing New York State’s future nurses. Awards are made on a competitive basis to applicants who are registered professional nurses enrolling in graduate programs that will qualify them as nursing faculty or adjunct clinical faculty.
An applicant must:
- be a NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
- be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens;
- be a registered nurse licensed to practice in NYS;
- enroll at an accredited school in NYS in a master’s or doctoral level program in nursing or related program that qualifies the applicant to work as nursing faculty or adjunct clinical faculty in NYS;
- have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher if the applicant has already completed a semester in a graduate program that will qualify him or her as nursing faculty or adjunct clinical faculty;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award;
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award, and
- execute a Service Contract agreeing to work as nursing faculty or adjunct clinical faculty in New York State for four years. View the terms and conditions of the service contract.
Awards under this Program cover the cost of attendance up to $31,096 annually or the average cost of attendance charged to NYS resident students attending a graduate program at the State University of New York, whichever is less. Awards are reduced by the amount of other financial aid awards received.
Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
Payments are available for up to three academic years of graduate study.
How to Apply
Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program Application
The application deadline for the Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program has passed.
Awards are subject to available funding. First priority is given to prior recipients. New applicants are ranked by GPA and points for experience as a licensed registered nurse. Tie scores are decided by lottery.
A recipient must complete the NYS Student Aid Payment Application each year to receive payment. Awards are paid directly to the college on behalf of students.