Getting Out of Default - Loan Repayment Tab
By paying your defaulted loan in full, you’ll receive these benefits:
- National credit bureaus will be updated to show your defaulted loan as paid in full.
- You regain federal student financial aid eligibility.
- Your IRS tax refund will not be seized.
- You’ll realize interest cost savings.
- You may realize collection costs savings.
To make payments on your HESC loan, you can have payments automatically deducted from your checking account through SMARTCHECK. Repaying your loan with SMARTCHECK is fast, convenient and free. To sign up for SMARTCHECK, call 866-991-4372.
For information about other defaulted federal student loans serviced by the U.S. Department of Education (ED), visit Federal Student Aid's MyEDDebt.ed.gov or call 800-433-3243.