Principal: The original amount you borrow.
- The amount you must repay is more than the original principal that you borrow because the lender charges you for the use of the money.
Interest: The additional charge on your loan.
- Interest accrues on the principal balance of your loan.
Fees: Additional cost for use of the borrowed money.
Cosigner: A person who agrees to be jointly responsible for repaying a loan along with the borrower.
- A creditworthy cosigner often enables a borrower lacking sufficient credit history to qualify for a loan.
- The addition of a cosigner on a loan may result in better loan terms (e.g., lower interest rate or lower fees).
- The cosigner is equally responsible for the debt as long as it is outstanding, unless formally released from the obligation during repayment.
- A cosigner is not required for a federal loans, but is usually required for other types.