Closed School Loan Discharge
If you couldn't complete studies because your school was closed, you may not have to repay your Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) programs loans.
- You may be eligible if you were attending when the school closed, or withdrew no more than 90 days before closing.
- You may also be eligible if you didn't receive a refund equal to the amount of loan(s) received for your program of study.
- For a New York State discharge, you must have been attending when the school closed.
- If you transferred credits or were offered a teach-out at another school, but did not complete a course of study, you may be eligible.
- After learning that your shcool has closed, the lender or guaranty agency will send you a Closed School Loan Discharge Form if you are eligible.
If you think you're eligible, but don't hear from your lender, call HESC at 888-NYSHESC (888-697-4372). Contact the NYS Education Department at 212-643-4760 to see whether you're eligible for refunds for other money paid to the school on your behalf.