NYS Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Incentive ProgramThe New York State Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program provides student loan forgiveness awards for the purpose of attracting workers to be employed in NYS child welfare agencies. Recipients can receive awards up to $10,000 per year for up to 5 years, not to exceed the total amount of the recipient’s student loan debt.
NYS Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program Alert Form
If you would like to be electronically notified when you may apply for the NYS Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Program, please enter your email address on the alert form below. If you do not wish to register for notifications, you can check for periodic updates at HESC.ny.gov.
NYS Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program FAQs
- Do I need to be currently employed as a child welfare worker to be eligible for loan forgiveness payments?
- No; however, an applicant must agree to work as a child welfare worker at a voluntary not-for-profit child welfare agency in New York State licensed by the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) on a full-time basis for five years.
- What does it mean to be a “NYS resident” for purposes of receiving this award?
- To be considered a NYS resident for purposes of receiving this award, you must have resided in the State for 12 continuous months prior to applying for the loan forgiveness award.
- How much can I receive from the loan forgiveness program?
- Recipients can receive up to $10,000 per year for up to five years of qualified service or the total amount of their student loan debt, whichever is less.
- Can I receive loan forgiveness payments for student loans used to pay for both my undergraduate and graduate degree?
- Yes. Awards can be used to repay both undergraduate and graduate loans. However, you must apply within two years of college graduation to be eligible.
- Which of my student loans are eligible?
- Eligible student loans include New York State loans, federal government loans or private student loans made by commercial entities that are subject to governmental examination. Parent PLUS loans are not eligible.
- When will I be able to apply for the award?
- It is anticipated that the NYS Child Welfare Worker Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program application will be available in October.