College Signing Day
In 2022, many high school seniors and their schools are celebrating College Signing Day virtually. College Signing Day celebrations recognize and pay tribute to the hard work each student has contributed to accomplish high school graduation and move on to achieve a college degree.
What is College Signing Day?
College Signing Day NY recognizes all New York State students who have decided to go to college. It is celebrated in the spring when high school seniors have made their decisions about which college to attend in the fall.
Traditionally celebrated around May 1, the deadline date for committing to a college, College Signing Day NY is a great way to:
- Recognize seniors for their hard work and success
- Support seniors as they start their new life journeys
- Inspire younger students – especially those at risk of not attending – to believe that college is in their future
- Help all of your high school students see college as an expectation rather than an exception
- Support a college-going culture within your school
Activities for College Signing Day NY
To participate, your school carries out three activities:
- College Gear Displays
- Invite teachers and staff to give a shout-out to their alma maters by wearing college shirts
- Decorate halls and classrooms -- even virtual ones -- with signs, posters and banners from colleges
- College Signing Assembly/Pep Rally
- Include all grades in attendance to build excitement about going to college
- Involve the school band, cheerleaders, clubs and other groups to make it a true celebration
- Invite all faculty, staff, and district office personnel to attend
- Share some data on the senior class – number of college applications, number of acceptances, number and dollar amounts of scholarship money earned, etc.
- Encourage your seniors to wear college gear from their future schools
- Announce students and their college choices in some way:
- Present certificates and announce their college plans
- Invite students to stand -- or otherwise acknowledege themselves -- when their names and colleges are announced
- Invite students to sign their college "letter of intent"
- Present a slideshow with students’ names, photos, and colleges
- Invite a guest speaker to share a college success story
- School alum
- Community leader
- Local dignitary
- Get The Word Out
- Encourage your students to celebrate with announcements, photos, videos, etc. on social media channels: #ISignedNY
- Find More Information
- Visit Better Make Room's College Signing Day website for a downloadable toolkit and more ideas and information.