- About College Fairs
- College Fair Calendar
- College Fair Visit Tips
At the fair, you'll find out about academic programs, campus activities, financial aid, and admissions requirements and have the opportunity to talk briefly with college representatives.
- Make a point to talk with the college representatives – they want to engage with you and answer your questions.
- Take notes.
- Sign up to be on the mailing lists at colleges that interest you.
- Pick up brochures from colleges that interest you and take them home to review.
- Attend information sessions, if available.
Be sure to go to the fair prepared to maximize your time. Bring paper and pen to take notes, and a list of questions.
Some questions you may want to ask:
- What are the college's strengths?
- What kind of extra academic help is available?
- If you are the first in your family to go to college: do you have any programs for students who are the first in their family to go to college?
- What majors are the most popular?
- What are the admissions requirements?
- What scholarships and financial aid are available?
- What qualities should prospective students have?
- When must I choose a major?
- What is the average student to teacher ratio?
- Is student housing guaranteed all four years?
- How are roommates selected?
- What programs are offered to help students adjust to college life?
- What other student services are offered (tutoring, career counseling, study groups)?
- Please estimate the percentage of grants, scholarships, loans and work-study awarded in your financial aid packages.
- How many freshmen return for their sophomore year?
If you’ve had an in-depth conversation with a college representative, stay in touch. Send a thank you for the time and information you received.
- Campus life
- Academic programs
- Financial aid
- Admissions requirements
Visit the HESC booth to get the latest financial aid information and answers to your questions.
Check with your school counselor or college advisor about a fair near you.
|2018 Schedule of College Fairs|
|Aug 18, 2018||The Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce Higher Education Fair & Expo||12pm-5pm||The Greater Harlem Chamber of Commerce
West 135th Street
between Malcolm X & A.C. Powell Jr. Blvds.
New York, NY 10038
|Sept 13, 2018||SUNY College Fair - Long Island||6pm-9pm||Nassau Community College
1 Education Drive
Garden City, NY 11530
|Sept 16, 2018||SUNY College Fair - Buffalo||4pm-6pm||University at Buffalo
12 Capen Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
|Sept 17, 2018||SUNY College Fair - Rochester||6pm-8pm||Monroe Community College
R. Thomas Flynn Camus Center
1000 East Henrietta Road
Rochester, NY 14623
|Sept 18, 2018||Community Action Organization of Western NY, Inc.'s 33rd Annual College Day||9:30am-1:30pm||Buffalo Riverworks
359 Ganson Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
|Sept 18, 2018||Southern Erie County Cuonselors Association College Night||7pm-8:30pm||Hilbert College
5200 South Park Avenue
Hamburg, NY 14075
Sept 19, 2018
|North Tonawanda High School College Fair||8:30am-10:05am||North Tonawanda High School
405 Meadow Drive
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
|Sept 19, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Schalmont||6:30pm-8pm||Schalmont High School
1 Sabre Drive
Schenectady, NY 12306
|Sept 20, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Shaker||6:30pm-8pm||Shaker High School
445 Watervliet Shaker Road
Latham, NY 12110
|Sept 20, 2018||SUNY College Fair - Syracuse||6pm-8pm||Onondaga Community College
SRC Arena & Events Center
485 West Seneca Turnpike
Syracuse, NY 13215
|Sept 23, 2018||NACAC College Fair - Long Island||11am-3pm||NYCB Live
Home of Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum
1255 Hempstead Turnpike
Uniondale, NY 11553
|Sept 24, 2018||NYCA College Fair - Arlington||6pm-7:30pm||Arlington High School
1157 Route 55
Lagrangeville, NY 12540
|Sept 24, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Saratoga||6:30pm-8pm||Saratoga Springs High School
1 Blue Streak Blvd.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
|Sept 25, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Albany||10am-11:45am||Albany High School
700 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12203
|Sept 25, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Guilderland||6:30pm-8pm||Guilderland High School
8 School Road
Guilderland Center, NY 12085
|Sept 26, 2018||CASDA College Fair - HVCC||
Edward F. McDonough Recreation Center
80 Vandenburgh Blvd.
Troy, NY 12180
|Sept 26, 2018 &
Sept 27, 2018
|Gates Chili High Schools Annual College Fair||10:30am-12pm both days||Gates Chili High School
1 Spartan Way
Rochester, NY 14624
|Sept 30, 2018||SUNY College Fair - Long Island||1pm-4pm||Suffolk County Community College
Health Sports & Education Center
1001 Crooked Hill Road
Brentwood, NY 11717
|Oct 2, 2018||Onteora High School Annual Collee Fair||9:15am-10:45am||Onteora High School
4166 State Route 28
Boiceville, NY 12412
|Oct 2, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Taconic Hills||11am-1pm||Taconic Hills High School
73 County Route 11A
Craryville, NY 12521
|Oct 2, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Kingston||6pm-8pm||Kingston High School
61 Crown Street
Kingston, NY 12401
|Oct 2, 2018||Rochester EOC Annual College Fair||6pm-8pm||Rochester Blue Cross Arena
100 Exchange Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14614
|Oct 2, 2018||Northern Zone Association for Counselors and Development (NZACD) & St. Lawrence Universtiy Higher Education Night||6:30pm-8pm||St. Lawrence Universtiy
23 Romoda Drive
Canton, NY 13617
|Oct 3, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Schenectady||10am-11:30am||Schenectady High School
108 Education Drive
Schenectady, NY 12303
|Oct 3, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Shenendehowa||6:30pm-8pm||Shenendehowa High School
970 Rte 146
Clifton Park, NY 12540
|Oct 4, 2018||Goshen High School 3rd Annual College Fair||1pm-3pm||Godhen High School
222 Scotchtown Avenue
Goshen, NY 10924
|Oct 4, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Monroe Woodbury||6pm-8pm||Monroe Woodbury High School
Central Valley, NY 10917
|Oct 9, 2018||Mohawk Valley Counseling Association 42nd Annual College Night||6:30pm-8:30pm||Utica College
Clark Athletic Center
1600 Burrstone Road
Utica, NY 13501
|Oct 10, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Newburgh||6:30pm-8pm||Newburgh Free Academy
201 Fullerton Avenue
Newburgh, NY 12550
|Oct 10, 2018 & Oct 11, 2018||SUNY College Fair - NYC||Day 1-
Day 2 - 9am-2:30pm
|Jacob K. Javits
655 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
|Oct 11, 2018||Madison County College Fair||10:30am-12:30pm||Oneida High School
560 Seneca Street
Oneida, NY 13421-2629
|Oct 11, 2018||CASDA College Fair - Bethleham||6:30pm-8pm||Bethlehem High Schoool
700 Delmar Avenue
Delmar, NY 12054
|Oct 14, 2018||NACAC STEM College Fair||1pm-4pm||Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
655 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
|Oct 15, 2018||35th Annual Schoharie County Counselors and College Information Day||11:30am-1:30pm||SUNY Cobleskill
Bouck Hall Ballroom
106 Suffolk Circle
Cobleskill, NY 12043
|Oct 16, 2018||TC3's Annual College Day/Night Program||12pm-2pm &
|Tompkins Cortland Community College
170 North Street
Dryden, NY 13053-0139
|Oct 16, 2018||Rockland County College Night||7pm-9pm||Rockland Community College
145 College Road
Suffern, NY 10901
|Oct 17, 2018||2nd Annual Campus College Fair||10am-2pm||Walton Education Complex
2780 Reservoir Avenue
Bronx, NY 10468
|Oct 17, 2018||South Westchester Guidance Expo||8:30am-2:30pm||Westchester County Center
198 Central Avenue
White Plains, NY 10606
|Oct 17, 2018||Greater Binghamton College Day||11am-2pm &
|Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena
1 Stuart Street
|Oct 17, 2018||South Westchester College Fair||6:30pm-9pm||Westchester County Center
198 Central AVenue
White Plains, NY 10606
|Oct 18, 2018||North Westchester College Fair||6:30pm-9pm||Yorktown Heights High School
2725 Crompond Road
Yorktown, NY 10598
|Oct 21, 2018||Big Apple College Fair||1pm-4pm||Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
655 West 34th Street, Hall 1C
New York, NY 10001
Planning ahead with these seven tips can help you make the most of your time at a college fair:
- Organize before you go. Review a list of the participating colleges, usually available online or at your high school guidance office. Choose those in which you are especially interested. Make another list of secondary colleges to check out if you have time.
- Prepare your questions ahead of time. Review the colleges’ websites and prepare questions you would like to ask. College fairs are fairly crowded and you may not have time to get all of your questions answered, so choose questions not easily found on the schools’ websites.
- Print address labels to bring with you. Save time filling out college interest cards and pre-print labels with your name, address, email address, your high school, when you expect to start college and the major(s) that interest you. Some high school guidance offices provide personal bar codes with this information – check with your school.
- Strategize. When you arrive, pick up a map, if available, so you know the layout of colleges. Some college fairs don't provide a map but organize colleges alphabetically. Target the colleges you want to visit so you don’t waste time backtracking. Bags are often available at the door for collecting brochures.
- Try to arrive early. Early arrival allows you to move at a more leisurely pace. Also, the later you arrive, the more crowded it gets and the less likely the college reps will have as much time to spend with you.
- Review carefully. After the fair, review each college’s materials carefully. If there’s something you really like about the school, highlight it and put a sticky note on the page so you can find it later. If you have a question about something you read, write it down and put it on the top of the pile. If you can’t find the answer in the brochures, check out their website. If you still have questions, send an email to the admissions representative to get more information.
- Stay organized. Once you’ve reviewed everything, create a file for each college that still interests you so you can add any additional information you receive from them. You may discover that some of the schools you were considering aren’t really good for you. Weed out the brochures of colleges that aren’t a good fit and bring them to your guidance office to share with other students. A personal college file will become an important resource when making your college choice.