Pay for College
Explore Grants, Scholarships & Other "Free Money"
New York State offers a variety of grants and scholarships for residents who plan to attend in-state colleges:
- Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)—the state’s largest source of financial aid provides up to $5,665 per school year per eligible student
- Excelsior Scholarship covers the entire tuition for eligible CUNY and SUNY students
- Enhanced Tuition Awards offer up to $3,000 to eligible students attending private colleges
- STEM Incentive Program awards annual SUNY tuition to the top 10% of high school students who pursue a degree in science, technology, engineering or math
- See the complete list of free money options available
Apply for Federal & State Aid.
Applying for financial aid can be a lot of work, but it can also save you thousands of dollars in college costs—and doesn’t need to be repaid. Learn more here.
Connect with Financial Planning Tools
- TAP Estimator approximates the amount of the TAP award you may be eligible to receive, up to $5,665
- College Finance Advisor creates a personalized Pay for College Action Plan based on your borrowing needs and circumstances
- Financial Aid Award Comparison Tool helps you get to the bottom line cost for each college and make informed decisions about which school to attend
- Burden of Debt Calculator estimates your monthly college loan payments and the salary you’ll need to manage them without difficulty
Learn the Financial Aid Basics
Assess Student Loans
If you’ve exhausted all federal and state sources of aid to help pay college costs, you may still need a federal or private loan to make up the difference.
Be a Smart Borrower
|Take Advantage of Special Interest Opportunities|
|Military||Youth in Care|
|Adult Students||Students with Disabilities|
|Transfer Students||Graduate Study Aid|