Did You Drop Out?

high school diploma

If you dropped out of high school, you can still get your high school diploma. And then go to college.


Many students who did not receive their high school diploma later decide they want to go to college. And they do.

You can, too.

Start by taking your high school equivalency test. Here in New York State, the test is called the General Educational Development Test (GED® Test). The GED replaced the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC™ Test) in January 2022.

The GED is free to New Yorkers!

It doesn't matter why you didn't finish high school. By passing the GED, you can get that diploma. And that can make a huge difference in your life. Maybe you’ll be able to get a promotion or a better job earning more money.

You'll feel good about yourself when you have accomplished this.

And maybe you’ll go on to college.

Did you know that one in 20 freshmen earned a high school credential by taking and passing this kind of test?


What is the GED?

GED stands for General Educational Development Test. It includes four subject tests:

  • Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA), which includes both reading and writing
  • Social Studies
  • Science
  • Mathematical Reasoning

Who can take the GED?

You can take the GED if you:

  • Do not currently possess a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma in the United States or its territories
  • Have resided in NYS for at least 30 days
  • Are 16 years old or older - those under 19 must meet additional requirements
More details can be found on the New York State Education Department webpage for the New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Office.

How do I take the GED?

The GED is offered at test sites throughout the state. Instructions for scheduling the exam, as well as how to prepare, visit the New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Office.

Do I have to pay to take the GED?

No – It’s FREE to New Yorkers!

What if I have a disability?

If you have a learning, physical, and/or emotional/mental disability or disorder, you may receive special accommodations for taking the GED.

For additional information, visit the New York State High School Equivalency (HSE) Office.

/* Smartling Language Switcher code */