Reminders about the FSA
Reminders about the FSA ID
Students and families who plan to submit the FAFSA online should create an FSA ID at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid (simplify link to StudentAid.gov/fsaid).
The FSA ID is needed by students and their parents or guardians to electronically sign and submit the FAFSA. Students taking federal student loans will also need their FSA ID to sign for their loans (the Master Promissory Note).
- Students and parents can get an FSA ID while filling out the FAFSA; however, getting it ahead of time will make the entire process smoother.
- An FSA ID may only be created using your own personal information and is for the exclusive use of the student or parent. An FSA ID cannot be created by any individual on behalf of someone else, including a family member.
- An FSA ID must not be shared with anyone. Students should not share them with anyone, even if they are receiving help in filling out their FAFSAs.
- If they've forgotten their FSA ID, they can retrieve it by going to StudentAid.gov/login, verifying their email address and answering the challenge questions established when the FSA ID was first created.
- The information on record with the Social Security Administration must be correct or corrected before getting an FSA ID. Students and parents can contact the Social Security Administration at www.ssa.gov to learn how to correct any errors.