NYS Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program
The New York State Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program provides tuition awards that cover the cost of six credit hours or $1,500 per term, whichever is less, to students attending a SUNY or CUNY community college who are enrolled in at least 6 but less than 12 credits.
An applicant must:
- be a resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
- be matriculated in an approved undergraduate program at a SUNY or CUNY community college;
- be enrolled in at least six but less than 12 credits per term;
- maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award; and
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award.
Students with Disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Students with qualified disabilities under the Americans With Disabilities Act who are registered with their college office for students with disabilities and who satisfy all other eligibility requirements may receive awards if enrolled in at least 3 credits.
A recipient of a PTS Award will receive an award that covers the cost of six credit hours or $1,500 per term, whichever is less, at a SUNY or CUNY community college.
Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
An award recipient is entitled to award payments for not more than four consecutive academic semesters.
How to Apply
New York State Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program
Complete and submit the New York State Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program Web Application. Be sure to print the Web Application Confirmation, sign the application and submit it, along with the required documentation, according to the instructions.
The deadline for filing an application for submitting the New York State Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program Web Application is July 18, 2019
Recipients will be selected and prioritized based on financial need. Financial need is established in the year the award is first granted, and is determined by the applicant’s federal Expected Family Contribution as reflected on the applicant’s federal student aid report. A lower Expected Family Contribution demonstrates evidence of greater financial need.
Once you have been selected to receive an award, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the NYS Student Aid Payment Application each year to receive future payments.
Awards will be paid directly to the college on behalf of the PTS Award Program recipient upon certification by the college that the student was enrolled in at least six credits and maintained a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
Note: Awards are subject to available funding.
Frequently Asked Questions