NYS Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
The NYS Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program provides student loan forgiveness for the purpose of attracting and retaining teachers serving in hard to staff districts or who teach in subject shortage areas in New York State. Recipients can receive awards up to $5,000 per year for up to four years, not to exceed the total amount of the recipient’s student loan debt.
An applicant must:
- be a NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to applying for this Program;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- be certified as a teacher in NYS;
- be employed full-time in an elementary or secondary school in NYS;
- teach in either a subject shortage area or a hard to staff district in both the current and previous school years;
- have an outstanding balance on an eligible student loan debt(s);
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award; and
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award.
Eligible Subjects and Districts
Eligible Student Loans
A successful applicant must have an outstanding balance on eligible student loan debt used to fund an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university.
Eligible student loans include NYS or federal government loans, or private student loans made by commercial entities subject to governmental examination.
Parent PLUS loans are not eligible.
Ineligible loans also include non-educational student loan consolidations and home equity loans used to pay off student loans.
The maximum lifetime award under this Program is $20,000, or the applicant’s actual eligible student loan indebtedness, whichever is less. Awards will be paid in annual disbursements up to $5,000. Any additional payments made to reduce the outstanding balance may cause a reduction in the total amount of the award.
Note: Any loan forgiveness award payment received may have tax implications. A 1099 form will be issued by the NYS Office of the State Comptroller reflecting the total loan forgiveness payments received by the recipient for the year. Any questions regarding potential tax implications should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
Payments are available for up to four years.
How to ApplyThe NYS Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program application is now available.
Note: An applicant who is selected to receive an award need only apply once.
Payments are made directly to the recipient.
The NYS Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program Application will be used to establish an applicant’s eligibility as well as to process the first award payment.
In subsequent years, a recipient must submit a Payment Application and verification of teaching services for which payment is sought annually by the deadlines set by HESC.
Note: The number of awards paid under this Program is limited to available funding.
Frequently Asked Questions