NYS Math & Science Teaching Incentive Program
The NYS Math and Science Teaching Incentive Program is offered to encourage students to pursue careers as math and science teachers in secondary education (grades 7-12). Awards are made to students attending school at the undergraduate and/or graduate degree level in exchange for five years of full-time employment as math or science teachers in secondary education in NYS.
NOTE: If you are a high school senior you may not apply at this time. You may apply in January of your first year of college.
An applicant must:
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- be attending a college located in NYS;
- be matriculated in an approved undergraduate or graduate program full-time at a degree-granting institution in NYS leading to a career as a math or science teacher in secondary education;
- have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher;
- not be a recipient of an award under the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program;
- execute a Service Contract agreeing to work full-time for five years as a math or science teacher in secondary education in NYS. View the terms and conditions of the service contract;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award; and
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by NYS a award.
A recipient receives an annual award payment for full-time study equal to the annual tuition charged to a NYS resident student attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York (SUNY), or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. For the 2016-17 academic year, the standard SUNY tuition rate is $6,470.
Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding potential tax implications should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
A recipient is entitled to annual award payments for not more than four academic years of full-time undergraduate study and one academic year of full-time graduate study while matriculated in an approved program leading to permanent certification as a math or science teacher in secondary education.
How to Apply
MSTI Program Application
Complete and submit the NYS Math & Science Teaching Incentive Web Application. Be sure to print the Web Application Confirmation, sign the application and submit it, along with the required documentation, according to the instructions.
The deadline for filing an application for submitting the NYS Math & Science Teaching Incentive Web Application is March 1, 2018.
New applicants will be ranked by GPA and total credits earned. In the event there are more eligible applicants than available funding, awards will be paid according to rank.
NOTE: An applicant may attend less than full time during the last undergraduate or graduate year if less than a full-time course load is necessary to complete the degree.