Student Loan Repayment FAQs

I recently received exit interview information. Why am I receiving it?
According to your school records, you are scheduled to either graduate, change schools, or you have withdrawn from school.
Who do I contact if I have a question about the information provided on the exit interview form?
If you have a question about your loan balance, you should contact your lender for verification. If you have a question about your enrollment status or the dates you left school, you should contact the registrar’s office at your school.
Once I've completed the exit interview form, where do I return it?
The exit interview form should be completed and returned to the school.
I am currently a junior in college and enrolled this semester full time. I am receiving notices from my lender to start repayment. What should I do?
Contact your lender or loan servicer immediately to inform them of your in-school status and ask what information they need to verify this. Your lender will either send you a form or ask for documentation from your school.
I recently moved out on my own, but am having trouble making my monthly loan payments. Is there any way I can lower the payment?
Yes, there are ways to lower your monthly payment. Your lender will provide information on options available to you such as a graduated payment, income sensitive or extended repayment plans. For example, under a graduated repayment plan, your payments will be lower at first and then increase over time. Each payment must be at least equal to the interest which accrues on the loan. A new option called Income Based Repayment (IBR), allows you to make payments based on your income. Learn more about repayment options that reduce your monthly payments.  Another option would be forbearance. Forbearance is a temporary break in either making loan payments or reducing the amount of the payment you were previously scheduled to make.
If I need to drop out of school for a year, what happens to my student loans? Will I need to start making payments?
Your loans become due six months from the date of your withdrawal. However, you can talk to your school about a leave of absence or speak with your lender about possible deferments or forbearance.
Who should I contact if, during my six month grace period and before my first payment is due, I have questions about the repayment process or my options?
Contact your lender or loan servicer anytime during your grace period to be better informed on the terms of your student loans, as well as available repayment options you may be entitled to. If you are unsure of how to contact your lender or loan servicer, please visit the Loan Repayment Center for access to your loan information.
If I choose one repayment option, start making payments and then decide to change to another available option, can my lender or loan servicer deny my request?
A lender must comply with an eligible borrower's request to revise his or her choice of repayment schedule at least once every 12 months.
I previously borrowed Stafford loans from multiple guarantors as well as the Direct Loan program.  Can I consolidate all my loans to secure a single lender?
Yes. Borrowers who have federal student loans, including subsidized and unsubsidized Direct and Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) may be eligible for a Direct Consolidation to secure a single lender for your loans. Private loans are not eligible to be consolidated. 
I have loans with several different lenders. How do I determine which lender should consolidate my loans?
If you have:
  1. All FFEL Loans – contact any FFEL lender that offers consolidation loans. (If you are unable to obtain an income-sensitive repayment plan, you may apply for a Federal Direct Consolidation Loan );
  2. FFEL and Direct Loans – apply for a Federal Direct Consolidation Loan; or
  3. All Direct Loans – apply for a Federal Direct Consolidation Loan.
I am having difficulty making my monthly student loan payment, including payments on my other consumer debts such as credit cards and private student loans. What should I do?
Contact the Delinquency Resolution Team at 800-888-0741 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We will discuss your situation and can refer you to your lender or you may also want to consider contacting a budget planner/counselling service.  Budget planners provide money management, debt reduction and financial education services. The New York State Department of Financial Services maintains a list of licensed budget planners.