NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program
The Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program provides eligible students with a full-tuition scholarship for a master's degree at a State University of New York (SUNY) or City University of New York (CUNY) college or university.
An applicant must:
- be a NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- have received an undergraduate degree from a college/university located in NYS and have been a NYS resident while earning this degree;
- have earned a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or higher upon completion of his or her undergraduate study;
- be matriculated in an approved master’s degree in education program at a SUNY or CUNY college or university which leads to a certification as a public elementary or secondary education teacher;
- be enrolled in such program on a full-time basis;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award;
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award;
- earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher each term of graduate study; and
- execute a Service Contract agreeing to teach for five years in a classroom at a public elementary or secondary school, including charter schools, located in NYS. View the terms and conditions of the service contract.
A recipient receives an annual award equal to the annual full-time tuition charged to NYS resident students attending a graduate program at SUNY or CUNY. For the 2018-19 academic year, the award is $10,870 or actual tuition, whichever is less.
Awards will be reduced by the amount of any other tuition-only assistance award received. Awards will be made under this program based on available funding. A recipient of an award under this program is not eligible for an award under the New York State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Program.
Note: Any award payment received may have tax implications. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional, the Internal Revenue Service, or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
A recipient is entitled to a maximum of four semester payments, or its equivalent, for full-time graduate study leading to certification as an elementary or secondary classroom teacher.
How to Apply
NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program for the 2020-21 academic year
Complete and submit the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program Web Application. Be sure to print the Web Application Confirmation, sign the application and submit it, along with the required documentation, according to the instructions.
The deadline for filing an application for submitting the NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program Web Application is August 30, 2021
Each year, first priority for awards is given to prior recipients. Second priority is given to new applicants, with up to 500 awards granted to new recipients annually.
Award recipients do not have to submit another NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program Application. To receive payment, recipients must complete the Payment of State Grants, Scholarships and Awards Application each year. Awards will be paid directly to the schools on behalf of students upon the successful completion of each term.