Out-of-State Study

Search for glossary terms (regular expression allowed)
Begin with Contains Exact termSounds like
Term Definition
Out-of-State Study

State student financial assistance is provided for students who meet eligibility criteria, including attendance at an eligible institution located in New York State.

Under certain circumstances, as specified in section 145-2.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, a student may be eligible for a State award when studying in another state or another country.

As defined in the regulation, “to be considered in attendance at a school in New York State, the student must either be matriculated at that school, or must be registered at that school under permit from another school in New York State at which the student is regularly matriculated.”

If the student receives instruction at an out-of-state school, the instruction may be considered as in-state study “only if the student is required to pay all tuition and instructional fees for such foreign or out-of-state study to the approved New York State institution.”

The regulation further specifies that “To be approved, an off-campus study program must be an integral part of the curriculum of the New York State institution, and tuition must be payable to the school and received by the school in the same manner as tuition charged for any other school program. If the student pays tuition or educational fees to an out-of-state institution, the student shall be considered as receiving instruction provided by that institution, notwithstanding the fact that the student may be maintaining registration in a New York State institution, or that the New York State institution may also be charging the student a fee for supervisory, guidance, or administrative services.”

Typical eligible foreign study programs are “junior year abroad” programs, where a student studies in a foreign country for a year or semester and the study is fully applicable to the student’s degree requirements at the New York State institution where the student is matriculated. The student maintains matriculation during the overseas study.

Another example of eligible out-of-state study is a semester or year of study offered and conducted by a New York State institution in another state or country. 

To be acceptable for state award purposes, the institution where the student is matriculated must give prior approval for the out of state or foreign study and the courses completed must be applicable to the student's degree requirements. In order to certify eligibility for State financial aid, the matriculating institution must receive all grades and tuition costs from the school attended.

/* Smartling Language Switcher code */